This Savory Sandwich Cake has layers of flavors, and it’s so easy to make. This savory cake has a fantastic taste with a creamy mayo/sour cream base and crunchy garnishes, like pickles.
This savory sandwich cake is my mom’s recipe. She would make this cake for many family gatherings, and it was always a crowd favorite. This savory cake is rich and full of delicious flavors and texture. The best part is it’s a no-bake cake. Let me show you how easy it is to make it.
- Toast bread: I used a thick cut of toast bread. I like to use this toast because the creamy filling won’t overpower the bread texture once the bread soaks up the juices. You might want to avoid using thin bread pieces.
- Eggs: We are going to boil the eggs. Some of the eggs we will shred and use for the filling, and some we will cut into thin pieces and use for garnishes.
- Pickles: I love using pickles for this savory cake. The sourness from the pickles will balance the mayo and sour cream combo.
- Bologna: I used super thick-cut bologna. You can use any bologna you prefer.
- Mayo: I used mayo with olive oil. Kraft is the brand that I recommend.
- Sour cream: I used the regular sour cream, but you can use light sour cream if preferred. The brand that I recommend is Daisy sour cream. It’s very light and creamy.
- Cheese: I used sharp cheddar cheese for the filling and mozzarella for the garnish. Feel free to substitute with cheese of your choice, but note that the flavor might differ.
- Garnishes: I used sliced boiled eggs, pickles, and ketchup.
See recipe card for quantities.
What is a Savory Sandwich Cake
As the name explains, this savory cake is similar to a sandwich but with lots of filling and garnishes. It has a lot of layers, which are entirely customizable, based on your preference.
Why this Recipe Works
- It’s no-bake
- Customizable based on flavor preferences
- Easy to make
- Beautiful layers and texture
- Boil eggs, then shred a portion of the eggs, and the rest you can slice and use as garnish.
- Prepare mayo/sour cream mixture and divide into four equal portions.
- Prepare all the fillings: cut the bologna pickles and shred cheese if you haven’t bought a pre-shredded package.
- Add bologna, eggs/cheese, and pickles mixture to each mayo/sour cream portion. One of the mayo/sour cream portions will cover the top and sides of the cake.
- Alternately add toast bread and each filling until you use all of the bread.
- Decorate with a garnish of your choice and refrigerate the cake for at least two hours before serving.
Substitutions and Variations
- Use non-fat Greek yogurt to cut down on calories.
- Add different veggies: like celery, radish, etc.
- Use different cheese, but note the flavor and texture might differ.
How to Serve
This sandwich cake can be served as breakfast or dinner, or even as an appetizer.
This savory cake requires a few hours of refrigeration before serving. Store the leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. The bread will become soggier the more prolonged the cake sits in the refrigerator.
Yes, make this sandwich cake half a day in advance. Make sure to keep it in the fridge. The longer the cake stays in the refrigerator, the more bread will become more soggy.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Phyllo Potato Pie
- Tuna Egg Salad
- Gibanica – Serbian Cheese Pie
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Turnovers
- Puff Pastry Garlic Flatbread – 2 Ways
- Crustless Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Homemade Crepes Recipe
- Avocado Toast with Balsamic Glaze
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Savory Sandwich Cake
- measuring cups and spoons
- A spatula
For the cake
- 18 pieces toast bread (thick)
- 3 boiled eggs
- ¾ cup pickles (cut into small pieces)
- 1 ½ cup bologna (super thick cut, shredded or cut into small pieces)
- 3 cups mayo
- 3 cups sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 boiled eggs (sliced)
- 1 ¼ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Boil the eggs and peel them. Shred three eggs and set them aside. The remaining two eggs we will slice into thin pieces.
- In a medium-size bowl, add sour cream and mayo. Mix with a spatula until combined. Divide into four equal portions.
- To one of the mayo/sour cream portions, add bologna. Mix until combined.
- Add pickles to the second mayo/sour cream portion and mix until combined.
- Add cheddar cheese and shredded eggs to the third mayo/sour cream portion. Gently mix until combined. We use the fourth mayo/sour cream portion as the glaze, which won't have any filling.
- Add one layer of bread, creating a 3 x 1.5 rectangle shape. Top with bologna mixture and spread equally with a spatula.
- Add another layer of bread and top it with eggs and cheddar mixture. Spread with a spatula.
- Add another layer of bread and top it with pickles mixture. Spread with a spatula.
- Then add another layer of bread and spread the mayo/sour cream mixture. Spread with a spatula, covering the sides of the cake as well. This won't be a thick glaze.
- Take shredded mozzarella and cover the top of the sandwich cake and the sides. Again, it doesn't have to be perfect, and it won't be a thick layer of cheese.
- Decorate the cake with garnishes as you wish and put it in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Cut into smaller pieces and serve. Enjoy!