This Baked Cod with Panko and Parmesan is a perfect option for busy weeknights! With a crunchy top and flaky and tender cod, this flavorful fish recipe is done in under 30 minutes!
This panko-crusted cod is easy, quick, crunchy, and so tasty! It is my go-to fish recipe when I’m in a hurry.
With simple pantry staple ingredients, this recipe requires little preparation and minimal cleanup. Want to have a fancy date night at home? Or a simple family weeknight meal, look no further. This baked cod panko will not disappoint!
- Cod fillets: You will need four cod fillets. I divided one-half of the cod. You can find it at Costco or any other food store. You can double the recipe and use the whole cod, which equals eight fillets. Cod is a mild-flavored fish, great even for non-fish lovers.
- Panko breadcrumbs: I used plain Panko breadcrumbs. I like plain breadcrumbs because I can add seasonings based on my preferences. Breadcrumbs will give the perfect crunchy topping.
- Parsley: A little bit of fresh chopped parsley leaves to add flavor and texture.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika will add depth and flavor to this recipe.
- Garlic powder: Just a bit of garlic powder goes a long way. It will give the recipe a fantastic flavor and smell.
- Onion powder: In combination with other seasonings, onion powder works great for this fish recipe. It adds more flavor and smells excellent.
- Thyme: I love to add dry thyme leaves to my recipes. They are full of vitamins and nutrients. It also tastes great.
- Parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese will blend great with all ingredients and make it yummy.
- Lemon zest: Lemon zest will give freshness and a little zing to this cod recipe.
- Oil: A little bit of oil to incorporate all ingredients.
- Salt: A little bit goes a long way. I used a bit of salt to add flavor, but feel free to salt and pepper based on your preference once fully cooked.
See recipe card for quantities.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Easy to make and minimal cleanup: One of the best things about this breaded panko cod is that it is so easy to prepare and has minimal cleanup.
- Flavor: Cheesy, lemony, and full of spices will give this baked cod panko a fantastic taste.
- Texture: With a crunchy topping and flaky cod, this panko-crusted cod will be your favorite weeknight recipe.
Equipment and Tools Needed
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Zest grater
Cod Health Benefits
There are many health benefits to eating cod. Some of them are:
- Packed with protein, B vitamins, and minerals.:
- Low in mercury.:
- Cod liver oil.:
- It may lower your cholesterol.:
Please read Healthline’s article to learn more about cod health benefits.
With just a few simple steps, you will have the most delicious baked cod with panko.
- First, we will preheat the oven and thaw the cod fillets if frozen. Pat dry the fillets with paper towels.
- Place the cod fillets onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle the salt.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs mixture in a bowl and divide it between cod fillets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cod is opaque.
- Add more fresh parsley leaves and other herbs if you want. Also, you can add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Expert Tips and Tricks for Success
- Thaw and pat dry the cod fillets with a paper towel: If the cod fillets are frozen before you cook them, you should completely thaw and pat dry them with paper towels.
- Please don’t press the breadcrumbs mixture: When placing the breadcrumbs mixture onto cod fillets, don’t press them because they won’t be crunchy once the fillets are baked.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs mixture in advance: Even though this recipe is quick and does not require a lot of preparation, you can cut down the prep time even more. You can prepare the breadcrumbs mixture in advance and keep it in a fridge.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs mixture in advance:
- Use parchment paper: I highly recommend parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet for easy cleanup.
Substitutions and Variations
- Use different fish: If you don’t have cod or want to substitute for other fish, some options are tilapia, white sea bass, striped bass, haddock, pollock, or catfish.
- Use different seasonings: If you have your favorite spices or want to experiment, feel free to use other seasonings.
How to Serve
There are so many ways to serve this panko parmesan cod. Here are some of them:
- Sweet potato fries
- Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Steamed broccoli
- Roasted bell peppers
- Roasted mini-pointed peppers
- Sautéed onions and mushrooms
- Baked Butternut Squash
You can always serve it with a few extra lemon wedges for an additional lemony flavor.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an air-tight container in a fridge for up to two days. Reheat in the oven once you are ready to eat it again.
Absolutely! Prepare the recipe as instructed, then air fry at 400 Fahrenheit until flaky and opaque. Usually, it takes about 10 – 12 minutes, depending on the fillet thickness, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 Fahrenheit.
The easiest way to tell if the cod is cooked is if it’s flaky when you take a piece with a fork. You can also use the instant-read thermometer. The internal temperature should be 145 Fahrenheits.
More Recipes that You’ll Love
- Cajun Salmon Pasta
- Baked Salmon in Foil
- Easy Baked Shrimp Recipe
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
- Cajun Shrimp and Rice Pilaf
- Cajun Chicken Orzo
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Baked Cod with Panko and Parmesan
- baking pan
- Parchment paper
- measuring cups and spoons
- 4 cod fillet
- ½ cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Lemon zest (half a lemon)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- Thaw and pat dry the cod fillets with a paper towel. Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Add panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, thyme, parsley, grated parmesan cheese, and lemon zest in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix until combined. Add canola oil and mix until incorporated with other ingredients.
- Place cod fillets on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle the salt on top of each. Divide the breadcrumbs between the cod fillets. Make sure not to press the mixture because it won't be crunchy.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cod is opaque. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
- Please note that cooking time may vary depending on the cod fillet thickness.