This homemade apple pie recipe is bursting with flavor! This homemade apple pie will be your favorite dessert this fall, with lots of fresh apples combined with spices and a buttery homemade crust.
I grew up eating this homemade apple pie. My mom would make it at least dozen times every fall, and we could never get it enough. With the buttery homemade crust and juicy apple pie filling, this pie is fool-proof.
Traditionally, my mom would bake this apple pie as a sheet apple pie, and that’s how everyone makes it in my country. I adapted a recipe to fit a more traditional pie shape (here in U.S.).
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour in this recipe. This pie crust is thin, so we don’t need a lot of flour.
- Crystal sugar: Adding a little bit of sweetness to the pie crust.
- Baking powder: To lift the dough a little bit, we are adding baking powder.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter in this recipe. The butter will give the crust a divine flavor.
- Egg: We need one egg for this recipe.
- Apples: The star ingredient in this apple pie recipe. I used a combination of granny smith and golden delicious apples. For more information, please look at the What are the best apples for apple pie and How many apples for apple pie sections.
- Brown sugar: I used brown sugar for the apple pie filling.
- Lemon juice: I used fresh lemon juice. I always suggest using fresh lemon juice vs. lemon juice concentrate. It will just taste better.
- Cinnamon powder: Cinnamon powder is a staple spice in apple pie. In combination with brown sugar and lemon juice, this apple pie will taste amazing.
- Powdered sugar: To sprinkle the pie, just dust a little bit of powdered sugar.
See recipe card for quantities.
Equipment and Tools Needed
- Apple peeler
- Pie dish
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A spatula
- Rolling pin
- Make the apple pie filling.
- Make the dough.
- Assemble the pie.
- Bake and devour! 🙂
Expert Tips and Tricks
Even though you have never made an apple pie, this recipe is so easy to follow and prepare.
- Even though the bake time is not long, please use the pie shield or loosely place the aluminum foil around the pie dish.
- Allow the pie to cool down before you slice it. You may be tempted to cut it right away, but the pie needs some time to cool down. Otherwise, it will fall apart if you slice it straight from the oven.
- For the toppings, I just dusted a little bit of powdered sugar. But feel free to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
What are the Best Apples for Apple Pie
I like to use a combination of different apples for the apple pie. My favorite choice is:
- Granny Smith Apples: They are firm with strong tartness resembling that of a lemon. They are perfect for baking.
- Golden Delicious Apples: They have a balanced sweet-tart flavor.
How Many Apples for Apple Pie
I used five apples in this recipe. I find this is the medium quantity for this apple pie. Since the apple crust is thin, I did not want to go overboard with apples. If you add more apples, make sure to adjust the baking time.
Homemade Pie Crust
This might not be your traditional pie crust, but it will still be delicious. The ingredients are simple, and the preparation is straightforward.
You don’t need to be the pie expert to decorate the top. Just shred the dough on top of the apple pie filling, and that’s it. Don’t worry if you don’t cover every inch of the pie filling. The dough will expand as it bakes.
Whenever I make this apple pie, it usually disappears that same day. But if you have any leftovers, store them in the air-tight container on the counter for up to two days. After that, store it in the fridge for an additional couple of days.
No, you don’t! 🙂 This saves some time on the prep time. Even though you need to shred the apples, the preparation is not complicated at all.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
- Mini Bundt Cakes
- Walnut Bundt Cake
- Walnut Strudel
- Blackberry Lemon Bread
- Summer Raspberry Cake
- Butterscotch Rum Cake
- Lemon Meringue Slice – Sampita
- Gurabije – Lard Cookies
- Walnut Cookies – Sape Recipe
- Vanillekipferl – Vanilla Crescent Cookies
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
The Best Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
- Rolling Pin
- Apple peeler
- measuring cups and spoons
- Pie dish
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 9 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 5 apples (see notes)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Powdered sugar (to sprinkle the top)
- Wash, peel, and shred the apples. Then, with your hands, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. You will get about 1 cup of apple juice. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and brown sugar. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 390 Fahrenheit. Add flour, crystal sugar, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Mix until combined. Add the cubed butter to the bowl and then, using the pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour and sugar mixture. Add egg to the bowl. Using a spatula, mix everything. Then using your hands, start working the dough. It will be very crumbly. After the mixture gets more incorporated, transfer the dough onto the lightly floured work surface. Continue to work the dough until you get the sticky dough ball. Cut the dough in half.
- Lightly grease the pie dish with a little bit of unsalted butter. Set aside. Take one half of the dough, and using the rolling pin, roll out the dough into an 11-inch circle. Add more flour (onto the dough surface and the rolling pin) as you roll the dough since it will be very sticky. Then, using the rolling pin, roll the dough onto the rolling pin (making sure it's not sticking) and transfer it to the pie dish. Please don't press the dough, as it will break, instead lift the edges and move around as needed. Using the fork, poke the dough randomly, so it doesn't lift during baking.
- Transfer the apple pie filling into the pie dish and spread it equally. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder on top. Using the box grater, shred the other half of the dough using the core shred side. Since the dough will be very sticky, grate the dough evenly and cover the whole pie dish.
- Put the pie shield (or aluminum foil) onto the pie dish and bake for 28-30 minutes or until golden on top. Let cool down for at least an hour and a half, and then sprinkle the powdered sugar on top. Slice and serve. Enjoy!
- I used a combination of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples. The sweet and sour taste combination will work great for this apple pie.