This Ricotta Honey Toast is a delicious appetizer made in under 15 minutes! You spread the whipped ricotta onto the grilled baguette, then top it with crushed roasted pistachios, a drizzle of honey, and a little lemon zest.
The combo of flavors in this whipped ricotta toast with pistachios is divine! The best part is that it’s so simple to prepare.
- Bread: For this recipe, I used one whole baguette. I like it because it is excellent for those bite-size appetizers.
- Olive oil: Just a little extra virgin olive oil goes a long way. It will add more flavor and help with grilling.
- Seasoning: I used salt and grounded black pepper to add flavor to whipped ricotta.
- Ricotta: I used whole milk ricotta cheese. I like it because it’s so smooth and creamy.
- Pistachios: We need a couple of tablespoons of crushed roasted and salted pistachios with no shells.
- Honey: I used organic raw honey. Feel free to use any honey you prefer. Just make sure the flavor is not too overpowering.
- Lemon zest: We need a little bit of fresh lemon zest. I used the citrus peeler to make larger pieces of lemon zest. If you want to have more fine lemon zest, use a hand grater.
See recipe card for quantities.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Easy to prepare
- The sweet and salty flavor combo
- Crowd-pleasing appetizer ready in less than 15 minutes
The Best Bread for Ricotta Toast
- Sourdough: One of the best options for toast is sourdough bread. You can easily add topping without the bread collapsing or falling apart.
- Baguette: I like to use a baguette if I prepare this appetizer for a crowd or any gathering. Bite-sized appetizers are always fun.
There are a few ways to make this ricotta honey toast with pistachios. Let me show you step-by-step instructions:
- Cut the baguette, brush with olive oil, and grill either on the grill or using a cast iron grill pan if made indoors. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Whip the ricotta and spoon it into a small bowl.
- Assemble the toast by spreading the whipped ricotta onto the grilled baguette, add crushed roasted pistachios, drizzle honey and add fresh lemon zest.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Don’t soak the bread with olive oil: When brushing the bread with olive oil, use as little oil as possible because you don’t want greasy bread. Also, use extra virgin olive oil not to overpower the flavor.
- If using the cast iron grill pan: When grilling the baguette, press the baguette lightly with a spatula to have more expressed grill marks.
Substitutions and Variations
- Make it gluten-free: Use a gluten-free baguette or sourdough bread.
- Use different toppings: Feel free to use any toppings you like. There are so many options for ricotta honey toast. Some of my favorites are sliced peaches on whipped ricotta, drizzled with honey. Any berries go very well with ricotta as well. Maybe you want to make a more savory option by using smoked salmon or prosciutto. Options are endless.
- Make a dip instead: Want to cut on carbs? Make a dip and use some healthier crackers with low-carb options.
How to Serve
I like whipped ricotta spread on toasted bread or grilled baguette. You can also serve it as a dip with fresh crostini or crackers.
This ricotta honey toast is best when served fresh. It does not store well. Half the recipe if you are preparing this recipe for just a couple of people.
Ricotta is light, creamy, and slightly sweet.
Ricotta toast is toasted bread on which you spread the whipped ricotta.
Other Appetizers You’ll Love
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Ricotta Honey Toast
- Grill (or ribbed cast iron skillet if preparing on the stove)
- 1 baguette (sliced into pieces)
- 2-4 tablespoon extra light virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1-2 tablespoon roasted and salted pistachios (crushed)
- honey (to drizzle on top)
- fresh lemon zest
- Cut the baguette into ten pieces (under the angle, so you have larger pieces).
- Brush the baguette pieces with extra virgin olive oil and grill on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Put the baguette pieces on a serving board and sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.
- Using a hand-held or stand mixer, mix ricotta, salt, and black pepper on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spoon the whipped ricotta into a small serving bowl.
- Assemble the ricotta honey toast by spreading the whipped ricotta onto a grilled baguette piece, add crushed pistachios, and drizzle with honey and a little bit of fresh lemon zest.