This chicken orzo soup recipe is so light and healthy. Loaded with tender chicken meat and veggies, it’s a hug in a bowl!
This chicken orzo soup is one of my mom’s recipes. Just one spoonful of that savory soup recipe, and I am back to my childhood. Sunday lunch would always start with some soup – it’s a tradition in my family.
Here is the complete list of all ingredients needed for this recipe. For precise measurements, please look at the recipe card.
- Onion: adding flavor.
- Oil: I used canola oil, but you can use any oil you prefer.
- Chicken breast meat: I used two medium/large chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Carrots: I used two large carrots. They are adding flavor and are full of nutrients.
- Parsnip: I used one medium-size parsnip. It’s rich in antioxidants, fiber and it supports immune function.
- Peas: I used frozen peas. It’s always easy to have a frozen bag of peas on hand.
- Vegeta seasoning: I used my favorite seasoning, Vegeta. I use it for most of my recipes. I talked more about Vegeta in my Homemade Beef Stew recipe.
- Salt: adding flavor.
- Water: I used water. I experimented with chicken stock for this recipe, but the taste is different, so I would not recommend it.
- Orzo: The amazing pasta shaped like rice. You can find it in most grocery stores.
- Sour cream: This might come as a surprise, but trust me – it’s soooo good.
- Lemon juice: I used fresh lemon juice. Just add a squeeze of lemon juice to the individual serving.
What is Orzo
There is always that dilemma – is orzo rice or pasta? An orzo is a form of short-cut pasta shaped like a grain of rice. It’s made out of durum wheat.
- Sauté onion and chicken.
- Add vegetables, seasoning, water and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add orzo and simmer for another 10 min.
- Add sour cream and gently mix.
That’s it! You have a homemade chicken orzo soup.
Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 48 hours.
Yes, absolutely! Any short-cut pasta will work for this recipe. Just adjust the time of cooking pasta per package instructions.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Beef Stew
- Green Peas Soup
- Cajun Chicken Orzo
- Cajun Salmon Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp and Rice Pilaf
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Chicken Orzo Soup
- Large pot or dutch oven
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1.5 lb uncooked chicken breast (diced into bite-size pieces)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 parsnip (peeled and diced)
- 1.1 lb frozen peas
- 5 teaspoon Vegeta seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt (more if needed)
- 13 cups water
- ½ cup orzo
- 5 tablespoon sour cream
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (to individual serving)
- Add oil and onion to a large soup pot and sauté on medium-high heat for 5 min.
- Add chicken and 3 teaspoon of Vegeta seasoning and mix until well combined. Add 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 min.
- Add peas, carrots, parnship and 2 teaspoon of Vegeta seasoning, and ½ teaspoon salt. Add 12 cups of water and bring the soup to a boil.
- Cover the soup (lid slightly ajar) and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 45 min.
- Stir in the orzo and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir it often because orzo tends to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream. Mix gently, so the sour cream does not dissolve completely, and some bite-size pieces are left. Add more salt if needed. Serve immediately. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to individual servings.
- Add more water (and seasoning – if needed) to the leftovers as the orzo soaks it up.
- Heat up the leftovers on the stove and add more sour cream if preferred.