This Butterfly Pea Latte has a unique blue hue from the butterfly pea flower. It’s a beautiful herbal caffeine-free tea latte made in less than 10 minutes!
This butterfly pea flower tea latte is not a traditional recipe. I customized it based on my preferences. This is an excellent caffeine-free option when you want to have a soothing drink and relax.
- Butterfly Pea Flowers: I used dry butterfly pea flowers. If you can not find it at your local grocery store, Amazon has some great options. The one that I used is 100% vegan. It has no food coloring, added sugar, or chemicals and is non-GMO.
- Water: Since we are using the dry butterfly pea flowers, we need water to make a butterfly pea tea.
- Sugar: For a little bit of sweetness, I used brown sugar.
- Milk: I used whole milk for this recipe. Feel free to use any milk of your preference. Please refer to the Recipe Variations and Ingredients Substitutions section for more options.
See recipe card for quantities.
Why You’ll Love this Latte
- You can make it under 10 minutes
- It has a beautiful blue color, and it’s so soothing
- Customizable (with vegan option)
Equipment and Tools Needed
- Medium-size pot
- Milk frother
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Fine mesh strainer (sieve)
For the precise measurements and instructions, please refer to the recipe card.
- Prepare the butterfly pea tea.
- Steam the milk with a couple of teaspoons of butterfly pea tea.
- Assemble the latte – pour the butterfly pea tea into a mug and add steamed milk.
- Drizzle with honey or add other edible dry flowers for a prettier presentation. Enjoy!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Use a heat-resistant mug: Please use a heat-resistant mug to avoid accidents.
- Make the butterfly pea flower tea ahead: It does not take long to make this latte, but if you want to have a large batch of butterfly pea tea on demand, prepare the tea and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days. This is also great if you want to make an iced butterfly pea latte.
Substitutions and Variations
- Make it vegan: Use any plant-based milk to make it vegan. My favorite option is oat milk.
- Make it iced: To make an iced butterfly pea latte, let the butterfly pea tea cool down after steeping it. Add ice to a tall glass, pour butterfly pea tea, and add cold or room temperature milk (use a hand-held milk frother to create foam).
- Make it more creamy: Use half-and-half instead of whole milk to make it more creamy.
- Use butterfly pea powder: You can use butterfly pea powder instead of butterfly pea flowers. Instead of steeping the butterfly pea tea in hot water, you need to warm the milk, add sweetener and butterfly pea powder, and use a whisk to blend all ingredients. Alternatively, you can use a hand-held milk frother to break out chunks of butterfly pea powder.
- Use different sweeteners: Some other options for sweeteners are white sugar, turbinado sugar, coconut sugar, date sugar, maple sugar, etc.
- Drizzle with honey or maple syrup: Drizzle a little bit of honey or maple syrup to add more sweetness.
The butterfly pea flower is native to Asia. It’s primarily used for making tea.
There are many benefits of the butterfly pea flower. Some are: stabilizing blood sugar levels, supporting skin and hair health, strong antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and many more. As with other herbal teas, please use them in moderation and refer to any potential side effects.
My recipe has a creamy, earthy flavor with some herbal flower notes.
You can find it at your local grocery store or on Amazon.
No, this butterfly pea latte is caffeine-free.
Other Beverage Recipes You May Like
- Iced Oat Milk Latte
- Dalgona Latte
- Matcha Chai Latte
- Oat Milk Matcha Latte
- Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- Rose Chai Latte
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Butterfly Pea Latte
- 1 medium-size pot
- 1 milk frother
- measuring spoons and cups
- 1 fine mesh strainer (sieve)
For butterfly pea tea
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon dry butterfly pea flowers
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
For steamed milk
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 – 2 teaspoon butterfly pea tea
- Add water and brown sugar to a medium-size pot and heat the water until it boils.
- Add the butterfly pea flowers, lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain the butterfly pea tea into a mug using a fine mesh strainer (sieve).
- Add milk to a milk frother and add 1-2 teaspoon butterfly pea tea. Froth until foamy.
- Pour the milk and the foam into the mug with the butterfly pea tea. Serve immediately, and enjoy!